Made in America: Is It the Way to Go?
When it is time for companies to decide where to manufacture electronic components and products, overseas manufacturers are a common choice. Many industries turn to offshore manufacturing because they want to produce high-quality products quickly, and at a fair price. From automakers to computer companies, overseas labor and expertise have been a steady go-to for many years. From China to Mexico, it can be tempting to go with the lowest cost option available. But what many don’t realize is that there are significant benefits to working with American manufacturers and American-Made Products.
The Benefits of Working with a US Based Company
Even with the apparent benefits, overseas manufacturing comes with challenges. Here are a few things to consider before sourcing projects overseas:
- Availability/responsiveness— A big benefit of working with an American electronics manufacturer is the ease of communication. When you’re dealing with time zones and language barriers, it can be difficult to get your message across clearly. But when you’re dealing with a company located in the same country, it’s easy to pick up the phone or jump on a video call to touch base about your project.
- Ability to make design changes—You should be able to do this at any time for any reason. When working with an American manufacturer you will have the ability to do so.
- Lead times—It takes time to receive goods from overseas back into the U.S. to keep up with demand at home, and the pandemic has increased these lead times substantially. If there are problems with your shipment of finished goods from overseas, it can take weeks or even months to resolve the issue and get your products to market. This can be a huge problem if you are trying to meet a deadline for a major trade show or launch event.
- Quality Control— One key advantage of working with an American manufacturer is that you can be sure of the quality control standards that are being met. When you work with a reputable company, you can have peace of mind knowing that your product will meet the high standards you expect.
- Intellectual Property—Companies often find that they do not truly own the Intellectual Property for their product because they are unable to take possession of the associated engineering work product documents (schematics, Bill of Materials, software, etc.). And even if they do have some of the documentation, much of it is often written in a foreign language with data sheets and other information simply not available. In the United States, you have built-in legal protections against situations like this.
The Rise in Reshoring
Given all of this, it is no surprise that major American companies are beginning to bring their manufacturing back stateside. According to Kearney’s 2021 Reshoring Index, an overwhelming majority of American companies with production operations in China have already moved some back to the US or plan to do so in the next three years. New data from Sarasota, Fla.-based Reshoring Initiative estimates that 2022 will see a record 350,000 new jobs directly related to domestic companies bringing work back to the U.S.
Further, the CHIPS and Science Act of 2022 aims to strengthen American manufacturing and supply chains by investing in research & development, science & technology, and the workforce of the future to position the United States as the leader in the industries of tomorrow.
At MJS Designs, “Made in America” Means Made With Quality.
If you have even one concern regarding —quality, responsiveness, IP possession, supply chain management, and more—you should strongly consider keeping your manufacturing processes right here in the USA. And in that capacity, MJS Designs excels. We are an American company founded in 1976 in Phoenix, Arizona, and have extensive experience working with companies that have had poor experiences with overseas electronics manufacturers.
We offer a full range of services right here at our headquarters and all services are completed onsite by local technicians and engineers. They include:
- Printed Circuit Board Design
- Electrical Engineering Services
- PCB layout services
- Box build assembly
- Wire harness assembly
- Electromechanical assembly
- Printed circuit board assembly
- Electronic Prototyping
- Turnkey assembly
- Test development
- Testing and fulfillment
- Circuit Board Repairs
Let’s Work Together
No matter where you do business, you need the right team. If you decide to manufacture and build in America, you are closer to your customers and more likely to get a responsive, collaborative partnership. MJS Designs has a long track record of design, assembly, and test under one roof. We excel at challenging projects that require design and manufacturing, allowing you to move seamlessly into your build schedule and accelerate your time-to-market.
Contact us today to find out more about how we can help eliminate the need for sending your design and manufacturing requirements overseas.