You have an amazing electronic product concept—or possibly even a full-blown design or prototype—but don’t know how to turn that idea into a reality. Where do you start? While there are plenty of companies who can help, how do you decide which is the right one? This is a very common issue for entrepreneurs, so here are some basics to help you make an informed decision.
What to Look For First
While capabilities may vary, your EMP must possess a number of critical qualifications:
- Experience—Specifically, experience in electronic product manufacturing. This will ensure the company is capable of meeting various specific requirements associated with the launch of new products. Find out how long the company has been in business and review customer references.
- Flexibility—Does the company have a flexible factory layout? Are they able to accommodate varying batch quantities, including electronic prototyping? Can they expand or reduce production quickly? These are important considerations when creating new products.
- Overall Process—EMPs will likely offer services you don’t need (in addition to the ones you do). Make sure you have the option to choose only the ones required to manufacture your product.
Collaboration and Communication—New partnerships require input from both sides. Choose a company that is communicative and will help you not only achieve your goals, but also develop your business, protect your brand, and maximize the value of the innovation.
- Design Capabilities—Regardless of production capacity, your partner must also support you in electronic design services.
Sourcing and Supply Chain Management—Component prices make up a large percentage of your costs, so choose a partner with reliable chain of delivery standards, including a system for selecting and vetting future suppliers and turnkey PCB assembly services.
- Innovative Thinking—Your partner must be creative by nature and be able to think outside the box. This will help solve problems while also creating new opportunities.
The right partner will also offer flexibility aligned with market demand (to pull in and push out orders as needed) and risk mitigation. MJS Designs has tenured experience working with entrepreneurs and startups and can adapt as things fluctuate in the marketplace in each of these areas. We provide the attention to detail and flexibility of a smaller company with the manufacturing capabilities necessary to take an idea from concept to completion. We are backed by 46 years of success and offer a full range of in-house services:
- Electrical Engineering Services
- Hardware/Software Design
- PCB Design Services
- Parts Procurement
- PCB Circuit Board Assembly
- Test Development
- Box Build Assembly
- Electromechanical Assembly
MJS Designs helped Looky Loo founder Allison Carenza realize her dream of creating a device that would assist photographers in getting young children to pay attention to the camera during photo shoots. Her initial electronic prototype provided a light display with no sound, so we worked with her to add sound and make other improvements. MJS Designs then manufactured and tested the final product. Check out the full case study here.
A Truly Collaborative Partner
MJS Designs has deep experience helping ideas come to life. We are a perfect fit for visionaries who need a full range of flexible, scalable, in-house services that span a wide range of industries including aerospace, government, oceanics, oil rigs, semiconductors, and industrial products.
Let’s Work Together
To learn more about how MJS Designs can help bring your project to life, email us at email@example.com or contact us here.